Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 3 Zubiri to Pamplona

Day 3 found me waking with a familiar feeling of coming down with a cold. I decided not to spread it to my new found friends and bid them goodbye and walked alone. The last few days of many hours of travel by planes, trains and walking had taken a toll on me. I had the crud! lol. Felt really bad, but no fever. I have ran a fever less than five times in my life, I don't run fevers. In fact, sometimes when I would feel sick, Id get in a hot bath or shower to raise my body temperature. But, out on the Camino, I did not have the luxury of a long hot bath or shower. I walked alone on the Camino all day. I stopped for a lunch I had packed from leftovers from the night before. I found a new friend to help me eat my lunch.

As I got to the edge of Pamplona, I walked what seemed like miles to get to the center of the city. Walking on sidewalks in the city is not my idea of the Camino. I was hurting all over and very tired. I met a couple of guys from Chicago. I warned them of my cold and to keep their distance, so we walked and chatted. It was a good thing I ran into them. We all were planning on going on to Cizur Menor, but one of them had a phone and checked up ahead and found out there were only 4 beds left. So, we decided to stay in Pamplona for the evening. Turned out to be the right thing to do for several different reasons not yet known.

After I checked in to the albergue in Pamplona, I walked around town a bit to see where the "running of the bulls" took place and decided to get one of the ice cream cones I saw Martin Sheen eat in the movie "The Way" in Pamplona.

Street where they "Run with the Bulls"

I settled in for the night with the hopes that tomorrow Id feel better and shake this cold!

No comments: