Friday, September 28, 2012

Day 27 Gonzar to Melide

Day 27, I started to smell Santiago de Compestela! An old saying in America, " smelling the barn door". Like a work animal, smelling the end of the day and the barn door.  Thomas, wanted to start later and said he would catch up with me. I had no doubt he would. I started at 5:30. I wasn't the only one up, 3 Czechs were up and ready to go. They shared some coke (as in cola) and pastry. We started out together. They did not speak much English and my Czech was rusty! We all got confused by the markings and using sign language, map pointing, we found the correct path in the dark.
predawn

Cemeterio de Peregrinos

Cemeterio de Peregrinos
Horreos
 Hoerreos are used to store grain like corn for livestock. They allow air circulation and note the shape of the legs to prevent rats from getting into the grain.
12th century church at San Xulian

Puente Furelos
 By 10 am, Thomas had caught me, passed me and I wouldn't see him until Santiago. I entered into Melinde, found an albergue. It seemed the last few kilometers were getting longer! lol

I walked 33.1 km or 20.5 miles. I am now 54 km or 34 miles from Santiago!!!!!

No comments: