Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 24 Villafranca del Bierzo to O'Cebreiro

Day 24, no rain but cloudy. We set out early and the pace that Greg and the girls were setting, I could not keep up. I'm a slow walker, like a turtle, but I get there. The terrain as I mentioned earlier had changed. I was getting closer to the west coast of Spain, more mountains and weather patterns (i.e. rain) from the Atlantic Ocean. I walked alone for quite a while, one thing kept bothering me. A girl from a European country like Belgium was dragging her walking poles on the pavement. It was really annoying. I tried to walk faster, with no luck. I tried slowing down, no luck. Finally, we got separated somehow. If you have walking poles, you use them, pack them on your back, DO NOT DRAG THEM! lol.
A very tall overpass

Hilly village

water running out of hillside

totally different type of trail

lady herding her cattle in

mountains ahead
The walk was so different. The scenery had changed so much, so wet. Finally entered the town of O'Cebreiro. Basically made out of all stone.


O'Cebreiro Iglesia oldest church still on the Camino
9th century
 
Stayed in the municipal albergue, very nice 5 euros. Greg and the girls were waiting on me there. This is where I met Gary, a retired State Department employee. He and I would later dine on pulpo in Santiago, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I had planned an early morning start, but Greg and the girls were not in for it. I would be leaving alone in the morning.

I walked 30.1 km or 18.7 miles today.

No comments: