Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 23 Molinaseca to Villafranca del Bierzo

Day 23. As I got up, packed, ate a snack, I was waiting on Greg and the girls, I went outside to check the weather. It was beginning to rain. I went back inside and broke out my poncho. This is the first rain (except the small shower in Azofra) since I started September 1. The showers were intermittent as we made our way to into Ponferrada. Ponferrada is also noted for its Castillo de los Templarios, a Templar castle which covers approximately 16,000 square meters. In 1178, Ferdinand II of León donated the city to the Templar order for protecting the pilgrims on the Way of St. James who passed through El Bierzo in their road to Santiago de Compostela.


It was obvious by now, I could not keep up with the Olympic class rower, Greg and the girls ran off and left me. By end of the day, the rain had all but quit. It started to rain just as I checked in the Albergue de la Piedra. Greg and the girls were already there and had saved me a bed.
Vineyards along the way

Entering Villafranca del Bierzo


Villafranca del Bierzo

Greg and typical albergue
We had a great dinner, I was needing cash but the ATM's would not work. All over town. I needed some aspirin so, I went to the Farmacia. I got some aspirin with codeine in them. You could buy things in Spain over the counter that needs a prescription in the US. The pharmacist told me to wait until bed to take. I went back to the albergue aand took 2. I laid down and within 15 minutes I was sound asleep! lol.

Today I walked 30.9 km or 19.2 miles.

No comments: