Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day 25 O'Cebreiro to Sarria

Day 25 proved to be the worst day on the Camino of the entire trip. I awoke at 5 am and ready to walk by 5:30. I quietly exited the albergue along with a French couple. As we went outside, the weather was horrific!!!!!! Fog, windy, rainy and cold. After about 50 meters, the French couple turned around and went back to the albergue. During the next 4 hours, I had second thoughts as to my decision. I had only a small headlight, as I walked down the steep mountain, the wind was unlike any I have ever walked in. More than once, it unfastened my poncho and tried to rip it off of me. I kept telling myself, if I can get off the mountain and get to daylight, I would be ok. Not many pictures on this day. My camera was in my pocket. It proved not to be that protected, as it got water in it. It dried out, but I had come cloudy images for a day or so.

I did make it to the bottom of that mountain and daylight, but more uphill and rain would come. The storm subsided, but intermittent rain throughout the day. My feet were soaked and I knew I had a large blister.
800 year old chestnut tree in Fonfria
I am the type of person, once I get into a miserable situation, complaining does not help. I seem to thrive off of the misery and it seems to motivates and drive me more. While I was alone, wet, cold I just kept walking until I got to Sarria. Population of about 13,000 people. I found a private albergue for 10 euros. They had a place to dry your shoes. If I haven't mentioned it by now, a pilgrim must pull off their shoes before entering the sleeping area. I guess it aids in the housekeeping. The albergues must be cleaned each day before the next group of pilgrims arrive. This albergue had a washing machine. Anytime I had an opportunity to wash my clothes with a washing machine, I took advantage of it and washed all my clothes. You don't know when the next washing machine will be.

I ate dinner and crashed early, I was tired, cold and wet to the bone!

I had walked 2 of the recommended stages today. I walked 40 km or 24.8 miles in the rain.

No comments: