Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 20/21 Leon to Villavante/El Ganso

Day 20/21 started waiting on Peter, it was a very cool morning as we started out in the dark. As we were leaving the city, it was getting light. Peter stopped at  la Iglesia de la Virgen del Camino to pray before we left Leon.
 la Iglesia de la Virgen del Camino
As we walked out of Leon, the sun was coming up. This day would prove to be one of the hottest days, dustiest and long as we have had.
Peter and me

Peter and me cooling the wheels a bit in Chozas de Abajo

 We had planned to stop in Villar de Mazarife for a meal, but it was siesta time. One thing about Spain, everything shuts down from about 2 pm to 5 pm, then most reopens and everyone eats dinner later. We walked through the town with nothing open, so on the outskirts, we found one one tree in a field, where we put all our snacks together and shared. I once again fertilized a Spanish field. lol
Al and Peter sharing under the only shade around

Long hot trek
 We had already past the recommended end of a stage so, we pressed on hoping for a place in the village of Hospital de Orbigo, but it was 14 km or 8.7 miles more. We came up on a village called Villavante, The guidebook did not show anyplace to stay. But, remember, I said the Camino provides, there was a new albergue there, had just opened the last month! WOW! We saw some friends from South Africa and they were bragging on the place and telling us we had to stay. Well, it did not take much persuasion for us to stay. Al and I got a room with two beds for just a little more than getting a bed in the dorm. They had internet access and was very clean.
Villavante
Later that night, Al had been updating his blog on the computer, and when he came back to the room, he and I got into an argument. I was totally at fault and over reacted. I packed my gear and left at 2 am. This would be the last time I saw Al or Peter. Since, we have communicated via Facebook and email.

I walked in the dark for about an hour until my head light started to die. I had given my small spare light away to a young girl with no light. I sat down in a vineyard and changed 3 AAA batteries out in the dark! lol Don't try that at home, I am a trained professional. I took about a half hour nap in a row of the vineyard and then I pressed on. I passed through a settlement, I think it was private, and at the top of the hill there were about 10 dogs sleeping, none were tied hey barked a bit, but none seemed aggressive. I passed through them without incident.

I passed through Hospital de Orbigo and crossed over the longest and best preserved medieval bridge, unfortunately it was dark.
Puente de Orbigo
Just about daylight, I was approaching Astorga, above the city is the Cruceiro de Santo Toribio, A stone cross commemorating the 5th century Bishop Toribio of Astorga who supposedly fell to his knees as a final farewell after he was banished from the town.
Cruceiro de Santo Toribio

Overlooking Astorga
As I entered Astorga, I decided to continue on past Astorga. As I passed through, I saw the Cathedral.

I pushed on, lots of open land and dusty trail.
Long stretch


Bells of Iglesia de Santa Catalina de Somoza in distance



Santa Cantalina de Somoza


Continued through Santa Catalina de Somoza through more rural settings.
Flowers



Horse wallowing in dirt as I enter El Ganso

Entered the small town of El Ganso, stayed at the Albergue Gabino. The town is one of the towns where people are moving away, leaving just a few people. The buildings are in need of repairs and only one place in town to eat dinner. The albergue, was nice enough, with a kitchen where you could prepare your own breakfast. Clothes had to be washed out by hand, as with a lot of places. The courtyard was crowded with wet laundry from all the pilgrims. I ran into Christine again and some others we had met along the way and had dinner together. That is one thing about the Camino. For days you may walk with someone and then, they disappear. Then, a few days later, you run into them again.

Due to leaving in the middle of the night, I walked 31.8 km or 19.7 miles to Villavante, got up walked another 35.9 km or 22.3 miles.

The total for both (days) was 67.7 km or about 42 miles.

This ends the 3rd week. So far, I have walked 511 km or 316 miles.

Week 3, I walked 162 km or 124 miles. Averaging 17. 8 miles per day.

No comments: