Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 22 El Ganso to Molinaseca

Day 22 started early, by now, it is obvious, I like to walk early and get the mileage during the cool of the morning and get to where I'm going and get ready for the next day, then check out the town I'm staying in. The early mornings, did get old after a couple of weeks, but, it proved to be the best for me since I am a slow walker.
The countryside and terrain was beginning to change. Instead of dry dusty flat mesas, I was walking into wooded hillsides and mountains. It was like a new country. The housing and food began to change. The house roofs were no longer terra tiles but black slate. Reminded me of alpine villages.
 
 Along "The Way" there is a place called Cruz de Ferro or Iron Cross. It is a place, where the pilgrim reflects on the purpose of their journey and leave a stone or other token of love. As you can see from the stack of stones, many others have been here before me!
 
I stopped in a small village, Acebo. Had a bocadillo and soft drink. Ran into Christine again, she and I walked into Molinaseca together.

Acebo
Which way?

The trek into Molinaseca was very steep and treacherous due to the loose and jagged rocks protruding from the trail. I imagined what it would be like, if the weather had been wet. Up until now, 22 days with no rain except a small shower while we were in Azofra. 
Treacherous footing
Entering into Molinaseca, Christine decided to check into a hotel, she wanted a private room for a bath. I walked to the other side of town and stayed in the next to the last albergue in town. Albergue de Santa Maria. There I met an Englishman named Greg and two girls from New Zealand. One of the girls had just missed the NZ Olympic rowing team.

 

Today, walked 33.6 km or about 20.8 miles. As it was getting dark, I told the Englishman Greg, get your rain gear ready, the clouds look like rain. He asked me how I knew, I told him, I was raised on a farm.

No comments: