Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 17 Terradillos de los Templarios to Bercianos del Real Camino

Day 17, We started out early, this time Al and I had picked up a new Camino friend. Peter from Ireland. He was one of the people walking across the open field while we were looking for the albergue yesterday.
It was great to have Al and Peter along. We would share stories, jokes and made decisions together.
Al from Oregon and me





We came into Shagun, which claims to be the Camino Frances midpoint. We stopped for a snack. We ran into Drew ( a schoolteacher) from Germany. He was having a hamburger, and was complaining about the number of French fries. I ordered a hamburger too, what I got was a surprise, but tasty none the less! I kidded with Drew, that I got the rest of the French fries! lol

Spanish hamburger and fries (supersized, lol)
Shagun-- halfway

Just outside Shagun
A shady path
I had heard of this



 
A short way out of Shagun, we came to an intersection where the guidebook gave us an option. Al, Peter and I discussed which route to take, Al and I went ahead about 100 yards on the alternate route scouting. Peter stayed at the intersection. Al and I ran into Drew and he recommended the alternate route. When we went back for Peter, he had went the other route. So, Al and I went on the alternate route with Drew.

We walked for about 5. 5 km and found an albergue, A parish run by a couple of ladies, one American. It had 46 beds on 6 rooms. It was a donativo (donation) and served a communal meal. We all chipped in, Al and I helped moved the tables and chairs outside. It was a good meal, and I helped with the dishes.
This part of the Camino was more desolate, with fewer stops, but later we learned, the other path was over an ancient Roman road. It would have been cool to walk on it, but they said it was rough on the legs.


This day, we walked 23.1 km or 14.3 miles.

No comments: