Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 13 Burgos to Hontanas

Day 13 started before daylight. I had talked to Al, a guy from Oregon the night before and talked about walking together. I had met Al on the Camino Forum and in Saint Jean Pied de Port. I went to where Al had been staying in Burgos and somehow we missed each other. So, I set out alone on the Camino. Made pretty good time, even though I got lost on the outskirts of Burgos in the dark of early dawn. I finally found my way and continued on.

I then walked through Tarjados, a small village of about 700 people.
This is where I stopped and got a cafĂ© sin leche, with tortilla potato, an orange and Snow White's poison apple. More on this tomorrow.

A short walk and I entered Rabe de las Calzados, population about 190 people.


Ermita de Nuestra Senora de Monasterio

From here, I entered the Meseta (Mesa). Very dry and windy plateau over much of central Spain.


Overlooking Hornillos del Camino
The landscape and climate has changed slightly since my start. It is now a bit more breezy, hotter and drier. There are long dry stretches between villages. Stopped in a town called Hornillos del Camino population of about 100 people. Drank a coke and rested the feet a bit.

Pressed on across the Meseta, windy and hot. More wind powered generators on the hillsides.

Entrance to Hontanas


Hontanas with 14th century Church of the Conception in center
Hontanas population 80, lies in between two hills. You are upon the entrance before you know it. Got a bed in an old schoolhouse converted to an albergue. By this time, Al and I had connected back up. he was staying in another albergue off the street a bit and I was on mainstreet. As you can tell, there was not a lot to do in this small town. Pay phone did not work, and the one computer with internet was down. We met a couple of kids walking together and had a guitar. We all passed it around and sang in the street. It was the only show in town that night. It was a lot of fun. We would meet up with these guys again later down the road.

No comments: