Sunday, September 30, 2012

Day 29 O Pedrouzo (Arca) to Santiago de Compestela

Day 29. With just over 20 km or 12.5 miles left, it was bittersweet. There was an excitement about reaching the end along with knowing a great journey was ending. Along the Way, I had met many people from all over the world. Shared laughs, miles and meals with. Now, the final walk into Santiago, didn't seem so far now.

It was still dark, and I had just started walking down the hill from the albergue and entered a wooded path, it split 3 ways. A couple of other pilgrims and I were trying to find markers. An Englishman came up and said that he knew a sure way that he had seen the day before and retreated out of the woods. I looked at the paths themselves and looked for the one with the most wear from pilgrims feet. I took it, the other pilgrims took another one.
Well, fortunately, I chose correctly! lol. As I was walking it was still dark and I was passing the Santiago airport, I was looking at my guidebook when an Englishman caught up with me. We began to walk and talk, he introduced himself as Nigel and I told him I was Larry. After a few minutes, I told him, folks called me "Snake". He was excited! He cried out "Snake????" It turned out, it was Nigel that had stayed at the same albergue in St. Jean Pied de Port the night before we left. We had started this journey on the same day and now, we were going to finish together!!! WOW


Nigel

First view of Santiago

Catherdral at Santiago
We walked into Santiago together, we remarked that we both did not expect to walk through so much city to get to the cathedral. It was a glorious sight to see such a magnificent structure!!

We saw and met folks we had walked with along the WAY!

I had just finished walking 789.1 km or 490.3 miles in 29 days, not counting walking around all the towns each day. This was not the end of my adventure, I still had to get back to Madrid to catch a flight home. It was uneventful with planes, trains and automobiles, lol.

Would I do it again? You bet!!! Arriving in Santiago was not and will not ever be the goal.

 
As in life, it is the Journey!!!

No comments: