Saturday, December 6, 2008

Chattanooga Fat Ass 50k

For the ones who does not know what a Fat Ass race is. It originated in Australia. It is a race with usually no entry fee, no shirt , no frills, and definitely no awards. The race starts at the base of Krandyland. This is the home of Kris and Randy Whorton, who is a big part of the trail development and trail racing in the Chattanooga area.
The race starts, after you climb the mandatory 54 steps to Krandyland. I arrived early and delivered some goodies for the 100k. Kris and Randy were very hospitable and offered coffee. The weather was going to cooperate for the FA50k. The start was scheduled for 08:00 but by the time we all got ready, it was about 08:25. The race is advertised as group of friends, running a training run. NO PRESSURE!

We started as the temperatures hovered about 30 degrees.. as we ran out, the cool wind cut through the cheap cotton gloves. ( 50 cents). I don't think it mattered as everyone I talked to complained of hands being cold.
We started on the street at the base of Krandyland and headed towards Ruby Falls. I have lived in the area most of my life, and have never seen Ruby Falls or Rock City, shame on me.
A small group of us started out slow, knowing that the mountain and miles would take it's toll. A small group of us (5) missed the first trail turnoff. We never saw the markers. after a few minutes of discussions and exploring where we went wrong, we decided that we had missed the spur trail and we would press on past the turn and add some mileage (according to GPS) to allow for the error.

We met several of the other runners who had followed the correct course. We all got a chuckle at telling them that they were slow. All the time knowing we were off course. After the correction, 2 of the group turned at the junction, they had opted for the 10-12 mile option.
Then there was three of us at the end of the pack. We kept a steady pace, all along keeping our conversation light and positive. I ran with Charlene from the CTC and Cat who comes from a biking background.( if I'm wrong, please correct me Cat). She is new to the running arena and has only been running for about a year or so. We maintained a respectable pace and had some very energizing conversations. I think she (Cat) baited me though, she told me that she wanted to run slow, because we had a lot of miles to go. Then about 15 miles, she kicked it in and I never saw her until the end. She had only done 16 miles max until this run. She really kicked ass!! Good job Cat!

That left Charlene and me to finish the 21+ section. Charlene gave me a history lesson along the route. We wrapped around the bluffs of Lookout mountain where significant historical Civil War battles were fought. On one occasion, I had told Charlene, that if one of us heard voices, then we were losing it. I turned once to her and whatever face I had on, she said 'You're not freaking out on me , are you?" We both got a laugh out of it. We made it to Craven's House ( Google it) and refreshed with our drop bags. We met back up with Lynn and her dog. She had slept in late and had come out to run some on the mountain. The meetings were brief but enjoyable. She is planning on pacing for the upcoming 100k.
Charlene and I cruised back to Krandyland, both not really taxed from the run. We all reunited with the folks that had stayed after the run. We ate chili, listened to music and exchanged war stories with the other runners.

Entry Fee $0
Drive time: 1 hr
experience : priceless

Charlene and I didn't write our 22.74 mile time down, because the time really doesn't matter.

We had a day in the woods with friends (new friends), no pressure to compete, experienced a part of History and had a great time of fellowship with folks that has the same goals as you. Oh yeah, the chili wasn't bad either.

Thanks Kris, Randy, Boonies and all the runners that came out and made the day.

2 comments:

WarKitty said...

No, you got it right. I come from cycling to running via a few triathlons. All that happened was, I hit a pace and just started grooving. Next thing I knew, y'all were way back and I couldn't even hear you anymore. I was at the turn to go up the mountain, thought about waiting and decided if I did I'd just go cold and started walking up. Got to the level bits and thought I'd best jog if I wanted to stay warm. Unlike you, I was quite worn out when I got done, and the dog was completely exhausted. Of course, it WAS my longest distance run ever.

SNAKE said...

I figured you got into a groove, I probably could have squeezed a little more out but didn't want to leave Charlene by herself. It was truly a good training run. I enjoyed seeing old friends and making new.

Congratulations on the distance, just a little more and a 50k is in sight. You probably could do a 50k now if you go out slow and maintain your energy levels.

great picture!