Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2009 ???


What does the year 2009 have in store for me? I received notice today that I was put on the waiting list at Barkley Marathon. Kind of disappointed that I didn't get accepted, but I guess in real life I'm not the front runner or the likely candidate to actually finish this 100 miler.
Barkley? It is 5 twenty mile loops through Frozen Head State Park near Wartburg Tennessee. It was started many years ago by Gary Cantrell after hearing of James Earl Ray's escape from Brushy Mountain Prison. After Ray had been gone 55 hours, he had only managed 8 miles or so from the prison. Gary commented that he could have been 100 miles or more away in that length of time. Well, after some research and surveying the landscape, Gary had the idea to have a race through the wilderness there. I think there has been a total of 7 finishers in all the years it has been held. The problem is not the distance, runners from all over the world have come to run the Barkley. What happens is they quit! Or the time limits catch them. There is a 60 hour overall limit and a 12 hour per loop limit. The trail is mostly unused and is very unrunable.
Why would anyone want to run Barkley? I really don't know. It is kind of like when you were a kid and hit a ground ball back to the pitcher. He(She) fields it cleanly, you know you are going to be out. You still run as hard as you can to first base and even run through the base. You are hoping that there is a small chance, you will be safe. That is the best explaination I can give.
I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions but sitting here and pondering on 2009, what should I do? Lose weight, you bet! Run more? Yeah.
I want and will try in 2009 to:

1) run fewer ultras and concentrate on faster races.
2) Lose 20 pounds (this will help with #1)
3) Concentrate on running faster marathons and if it is in me, to qualify for Boston in 2010. I will be 55 and only need a 3:45

Well, there are some goals, not resolutions. You may not see me at as many ultras this next year, but hopefully will see me toeing the line in Boston for the 3rd time.

Peace
look at this link: type in 2006 to 2007 and Lyda for the last name.

No comments: