Monday, April 7, 2008

UMSTEAD 100 MILE ENDURANCE RUN



It has taken me 5 months to make this post. You would think that after running 100 miles, I would be anxious to post a report. Perhaps, it has taken this long to sort out the emotions, feelings, perceptions and facts.
My first idea of running 100 miles was around 1983. I saw a Runner's World article on Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run in California. At that time of my life, I could not imagine covering 100 miles, over mountains and all night. As the years passed and I ran in more marathons, the idea came back to me. I had 4 running goals in the early 80's. Here they are, not necessarily in any certain order. 1) Run Boston Marathon 2) Run New York City Marathon 3) Run Strolling Jim 40 Mile Run 4) Run Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run. I have done the first 3, now I'm waiting my turn for #4. Since "States" was cancelled this past June, there will be no new applicants for 2009, so 2010 will be the earliest I could possibly get in.
I chose to run Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run for a couple of reasons, one to run an "easy" hundred miler first (if there is any such animal) and second It was in a cooler time of year and fairly closeby. OK that's 3 reasons.
I read all the posts regarding training for a 100 mile run, I read all the Umstead race reports I could find and asked several people who had run 100 miles for advice. I used several 50k races and a 40 mile race as training. I tried to space them out as to run one every 3 to 4 weeks. I put in a couple of weekends where I ran longer distances back to back. For instance, run 20 miles on Saturday and then 15 on Sunday. The long races once a month were important but I think these back to back runs probably did more good than the rest of my schedule.
My work schedule played a factor too. I was working 12 hour rotating shifts so I was used to staying up all night. I read where this is a problem for some runners. One of my challenges leading up to Umstead was I was having to work 6 days a week for 13 hours a day. This would start from the first of February and last until towards the end of March. Not much time for long runs. My plan was to run several races leading up to February and then taper for 2 months. This was unorthodox as to a taper should be 2 to 3 weeks. Most of the people I talked to said that a 2 month taper was too long but I didn't have a choice. It was to taper for two months or not run Umstead. The long working hours proved to be an ingredient that I think contributed to my success.
I arrived in Raleigh, NC on Friday April 4, 2008 with a 40 miler the longest run to my credit. All the doubts that run through your mind. Have I trained enough? Have I tapered too long? Am I prepared for a 100 mile run? I used the last question to my advantage. I kept telling myself, can you really be prepared for a 100 mile run?
The weather forecast for the weekend was to dump about 2 to 3 inches of rain with temperatures from 40's to 60's. This did not bother me, quite the opposite, I have ran some of my best in cold, rainy conditions.
Janet Duncan, a good runner from Huntsville had contacted me after a 50k over the New Year holiday. after comparing our past times and goals, we decided to pace each other. We made an agreement that if either one became a liability, the other would go on. Unfortunately for Janet, the wet trail conditions, along with swollen feet turned her feet into socks full of hamburger meat at 62 miles. She had to drop. The next day when I saw her, she was having to wear her husbands shoes, her's would not fit. She is entered in 2009 Umstead. She will finish it next time.
Janet had given me some advice as to how to prepare my drop bags. In each of the bags, I put food, candy and a laminated piece of paper that told what my desired split times should be. At Umstead, you run 8 loops at 12.5 miles each. There are 2 aid stations, one at the start/finish and the other about 6 miles in the loop. The aid stations are advertised as "second to none" and I have to agree. Well stocked with any type of food you wanted and experienced people that motivated.
Janet had arranged for a friend of her's to pace us the last 50 miles. Caroline Williams came up from Albany, GA to pace us. She was there early and was running with other people during the day. All of this was before she was to pace us. She probably put in 70 of the 100 miles.
We had decided to pace for a 28 hour finish. The distance never really intimidated me but 28 hours of running did. I kept thinking ok, I'll start running and this time tomorrow, I will still have 4 hours to go!!!
The plan was simple, go out extremely slow and try to stay on pace. I figured if I could maintain pace for 50 miles, the second 50 would take care of itself. In a 100 mile run, people tend to go out too fast and pay the price later. I knew that it was important to stay slow. I looked at all my training runs and 50k times and realized that they were all too fast a pace for 100 miles . I kept driving this fact into my training runs and into my race strategy.
To be on pace for loop1, our time needed to be 2:45, we finished loop 1 in 2:43. Right on the money. Loop2 should have been 5:40, we finished in 5:37. Still on target. Loop 3 should be 8:45, we finished in 8:49. Time has slipped some but we were beginning to spend more time at the aid stations. The rain was light but steady. Janet was developing blisters. I can't feel blisters until it is too late. Many a time, I have run and discover afterwards just how bad my feet were.
Loop 4 saw the pace slowing somewhat but still pretty close. We should have finished in 12:05 but did so in 12:29. Now we get to pick up our pacer. A pacer is good to have with you during the night and when your brain no longer functions. The pacer keeps you motivated and does all your thinking for you. When to eat, walk and keeps you distracted from the pain.
Loop 5 was the first loop in the dark. It was on this loop that I started eating/drinking the combination of foods that would go down, stay down and seem to work for me. I had heard that during long runs, look at the food and eat and drink what appeals to you. Your fried brain will tell you what your body needs. I think this comes from our long lost instincts for survival. At every aid station, I drank 2 cups of Pepsi, ate a half of Pimento cheese sandwich and a cup of either chicken or potato soup. Our projected pace for loop 5 at 62.5 miles was 15:35 we made it in 16:30. Boy had we slowed down that much? Didn't seem like it. It was at the end of this loop that Janet's feet would not allow her to continue. This was the toughest loop for me. The wheels were wobbling at this point. I had thoughts of not continuing on, but Sally at the aid station Sally's Asylum, told me to get out before I talked myself into quitting. Caroline asked if I still wanted her to pace me. Absolutely!
I started Loop 6. I headed off into the night walking and eating. After about 1.5 miles, I started feeling better, the food was kicking in. I told Caroline that before I lost the use of my brain here is what I wanted. I wanted to pick up the pace for Loops 6 and 7. I wanted enough cushion that if I had to, I could walk Loop 8 and finish in under 30 hours. My projected time for finishing loop 6 was 19:24 I finished in 20:14. Hey, I made up some of the lost time. I pushed on.
Loop 7 was important from a pyschological standpoint. It's kind of like Wednesday in the week. You would think Loop 6 would be the one, but having 2 loops to finish really was a boost in moral. Projected time for Loop 7 was 23:34 I finished in 23:53. still making progress. At the start/finish after loop 7, I called my wife Judy at the motel and told her that I was about to start my last loop and be at the finish between 9:30 and 10:30. Sally asked me how my feet were, I told her I was too afraid to look. She told me. "probably a good idea not to look, just go on".
I started Loop 8 as it was becoming daylight. I stopped in the restroom and took one of the best constitutions of my life. I felt 10 lbs lighter and as dawn broke, the rain picked up to a steady downpour. The old 100 mile gods did not want to make it easy. I ran into my second day, second sunrise (if I could have seen them). Everything was better. Caroline was very cautious with the downhills. She kept telling me to take them easy. I guess she felt that this would be the place you can rip something loose. The muscles are tired, so the joints are looser, injuries waiting to happen. She kept pumping my spirits up, telling me that I was going to finish. She asked what I was going to do with the belt buckle. She suggested to engrave the back with my finish time and place. I told her that Loop 8 was our victory lap!
As I sloshed though the mud down the hill towards the finish line, I tried to avoid the large muddy area that had been torn up all night long by the runners. Caroline peeled away and went far left to avoid the finish line. With about 50 yards left, someone came up with a crazy idea and put a hill at the finish. I regained my composure, I am going to run this hill, no walking for me. Actually, the stretching out of the legs felt pretty good. Projected time 27:55 actual finishing time was 27:45:46. I actually achieved my 2 goals of finishing 100 miles and doing it under 28 hours.
At the finish, everyone was screaming "get you buckle", "get your buckle". After hugs and kisses, I went into the race headquarters to change clothes. Everyone was so nice, congratulating me and asking if they could get something for me. The Red Cross volunteer nurse looked at my feet, she chose not to do first aid because they weren't really too bad. I ate a ham and cheese omlette and boy was it good.

I have entered Umstead in 2009 but didn't get in. I am # 30 on the waiting list, so a lot of things could change by next April. And who knows, there may be a 2009 race report from me.

No comments: